Friday, June 25, 2010

Fix it Friday, June 25th

 

It’s fix-it Friday time, with I heart faces

I_Heart_Faces_Photography_125

We start out with this SOOC:

4732169080_c6cf75d980_b

First, I decide on a crop.  I went with 8x12, that’s just my personal preference.

Untitled-1

It’s underexposed and blue/cyan.  So before anything, I need to correct those things.  I first start with exposure, because I know exposure affects white balance.  I used my own action for brightening, but you could do this by hand by doing a screen light layer or a levels layer.

step 1

Next, I corrected the WB again with my own action, but just by adding yellow and red, you can warm up this picture significantly.

step 2

Next, I wanted to add some brightness and pop, so I ran my popper action and warmer action again.

step 3

The haze makes the photo look soft.  Some people like that.  I can’t handle photo’s not being sharp.  I like them SHARP.  :)

step 4

There are a few things in the scene that need to be cleaned up/removed.  There is some kind of ugly electric box or something there in the left corner.  I chose my patch tool and loosely selected it.  Then from layer > new fill layer > solid color and dropper clicked a color nearby.

step 5

This doesn’t fix the situation, clearly.

Untitled-1

Now I flatten.  Select > reselect.  Choose my patch tool.  And drag it just to the right.

step 6

The patch tool blends the selected area with the new area your dragging to.  It is important to do the solid fill color layer for this reason.  If I had just selected the electrical box, used the patch tool and dragged it to the adjacent area, it would have tried to blend the electrical box with the bushes.  That’s counterproductive and would have taken several steps of trying to patch, clone, patch clone.  By doing that simple fill layer, I am blending 2 areas that are very close in nature (having dropper clicked a color nearby.)  Here it is after the first time patching:

step 7

Not perfect, but really close!  I’m going to go in there and do touch ups with the patch tool and clone tool.  (I absolutely love the patch tool!).  I’m going to remove that light post by the same method.  Each removal took me less than a minute.  So many people spend their time attached to the clone stamp, when the patch tool, used correctly is far more accurate and easy! 

The colors are all a little bit too busy for me.  I do love the golden sunlight, but his shirt plus all the background stuff makes me feel like this would be stronger in black and white.  So I ran Pioneer Woman’s B&W action, which is just a gradient map with edge burning and a curves layer.  I deleted her “light” layer, duplicated both the vignette and the curves.

step 8

 

The curves isn’t perfect.  It never will be, when you run an action.  Every picture is unique in it’s light and needs.  So I opened it up and tweaked it to what worked for this picture.  To open up the dialog, just click on the yin yang symbol on the curves layer.

step 9

 

And here is my before and after!

4732169080_c6cf75d980_b

 

 

 

 

Before

 

 

 

 

4732169080_c6cf75d980_b final

 

 

 

 

After

 

 

 

 

 

If you have any questions, let me know! :)

5 comments:

Karina said...

I love your edit and how you included all your steps...Thanks for sharing!

mommy of Five said...

thanks for sharing the step by step edit!

Lynda said...

I always LOVE your fix it friday posts! Thank you so much for doing the step-by-steps.

I had NO IDEA that the patch tool existed. I sample by selecting an area, copying and pasting it into a new layer, then using the eraser with a low opacity and medium fade to blend the edges into the layer below. It looks like the patch tool will be a lot quicker. I need to try it!

Your B&W conversion is great!

Did you recently redo your blog a bit? I don't remember this background, but I love it.

~ k said...

Hi Lynda! Thank you for your nice words! I often change out the background of my blog.. in fact, I think I'm gonna try a different design tonite :)

Buckeroomama said...

I love how your edit turned out --very sharp.

Thanks, too, for the step-by-step. :)