Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Room


This is quite random and has zero to do with photography (well, maybe a smidge). This is my room! I spent this weekend finally unpacking the last of my boxes, which were in a corner of my room. There were four. I moved in September. So, yes, 6 months later, I finally empty those boxes. The reason for the procrastination, aside from my ability to procrastinate everything in life beyond a healthy spectrum, is that the boxes contained tons and tons of photography which I knew would take tons and tons of time to sort out (and time is something I never have enough of!!).

And it was not good photography with pictures I wanted hanging on my walls. I somehow thought that a zillion snapshots should have been framed and hung in my old place, and was dreading sorting it all out here in my new place. Well, its hard to say photographs can be "bad", but I had framed a LOT of snapshots in my day. With bad, ugly frames :(

So, thank God that is over with. I don't have to look at boxes in my room anymore. And while I was at it, steamed my rugs, rearranged the furniture and hung up curtains! It's nice to be motivated every once in a while.


I decided to go with an all black & white theme, so all the pictures hung were in b&w, and I want to now get black pillow cases as well as add little touches here and there as I think of it.
A close up of the pictures on the far wall:




The painting above my bed was painted by me in my art school college days. Its a replica of a painting by an abstract artist whose name escapes me at this very moment. My teacher had us both replicate the original painting, and then replicate it AGAIN in black and white. So the black and white hangs over my bed, my mom has the one in color. You will also notice, perhaps better seen in the first picture, that the frame is warped. This happened on January 28th, 2005 when the house I grew up in burned to the ground. Much of my art, my photography, my life, blew away in the ashes that day. But these two paintings survived (as did myself, my mom, my landlord, and many, many animals :) ) I imagine I might be able to get it unwarped, but I like it the way it is because it reminds me of where I came from and where I am headed. More about the fire will come later this week as we "celebrate" the five year anniversary.

xoxo
kelly
(ps please excuse the quality of the pictures, these were taken with my little point and shoot :) )

1 comment:

Nettie said...

wow i love your room!! so light and airy!!! and 6 months is NOT bad at all with finishing up unpacking LOL...we've lived in our house for 2 yrs, and STILL have a lot of boxes yet to be unpacked!!

janete